U name it

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Englese

When I left for Italy I did not imagine that language wud be such a problem, I was under the impression that my English wud be enuf. But hardly had I reached there… I was sitting in the immigration office at the Rome Airport, looking like a criminal, apparently there was a problem but wht ..i had no clue …finally after 30 mins they got some one who cud speak English. On my visa, date of entry was erroneously printed (in Italian), anyway they let me go, but I had already missed my connecting flight.

The guy who came to pick me at Venice Airport, was so kind, thankfully he decided to wait for the next flight too. Then he tells me tht u must recognize these currency notes, just remember the colors, he wud hand me over n then explain, this green color one is Lira 5000, the blue one 10000. By the time I had seen one I realized tht it was written on every note..Lira 5000, Lira 10000, I thanked him for his help and politely told him I can read all right and tht I can manage without remembering the colors . )

The first time I landed up at a grocery store, I cud hardly buy anything, since everything was marked in Italian, next time I had to take a frnd along who showed me that this packet with ‘Latte’ was milk, ‘Burro’ was butter.

I did manage to pick up few words but surely that was never enuf to have a conversation. Then there were those strange encounters on the streets, so many times ppl wud pull up their cars and ask for directions and I had no idea what they were talking abt…then I learnt to tell them ..’non capito Italiano’….(I don’t understand Italian). This only lead to more weird looks, most ppl thought I was Italian too frm South, dark hair …and not so brown skin…so when they heard frm me tht I don’t speak Italian they thought I was just trying to pull a first one……….The best was when this man of African origin pulled up next to me and began to say something in Italian. Some how I guessed he was American frm the near by base, I asked him if he spoke English, u had to see his face, he just cud not believe wht he had just heard…..like everyone else he too thought I was Italian……..

One day I was there with a few frnds when this Chinese gal (some one we knew) walked up to me with this big grin, u know ur first name in Chinese means ‘bandit’…..as she walked away I cud not stop myself laughing……..now I (think) am too much a gentleman to tell her that her first name in my language meant ‘shit’.

At the grocery store u had to put in a lira 500 coin to get the cart out, u got it back when u put it back. One day I had no coin so I asked a frnd for one, he did not have one either but instead he gave me Romanian coin which he said, he used sometimes. Any way I shopped at the store and as I was going to put the cart back there was this lady who wanted the cart, she gave me this 500 lira coin, god I wanted to tell her that I had this other coin which had hardly any value…..but surely cud not explain all this too her with my Italian…..so reluctantly I took the coin n walked away….i don’t know wht she thought off me when she put that cart back………

Its surprising how few ppl spoke or understood English, but some did……took one frnd along to act as interpreter when I had to buy an air ticket….when I got there I told my frnd to ask this guy for a ticket to Londra (London), that agent spoke in perfect English….we have couple of flights….but my frnd (don’t know where he was lost)…tells me he is saying there are number of flights…..next I asked agent for any early morning flight…..yes there is a BA flight….my frnd again….there is……finally I had to stop him…plzz I can understand wht he saying u don’t need to repeat tht : )

So embarrassing…..out on the beach …. freezing cold….with two frnds……and no other soul in sight….suddenly this gal passes us ..jogging....just wearing a shirt and short pant…….the idiot thinking she was Italian n wont understand English …says…how hot she is feeling….the gal stops and walks up to us…in perfect English...did u say some thing ….. : (

Come US and it hovered arnd pronunciations, esp the University I was at had this huge Indian population but I think almost all of them belonged to South India, so for most Americans, only those type were Indians. Where are u frm? Im frm India…….no way….wht makes u say tht..well u speak differently, u look different ..then u had to explain to them how big India was…how many different languages we spoke and how ppl look different ……..But those explanations were frequently required in the beginning…I was anything but Indian : ( …….

Even tht drunk gal…..some idiot dropped her on the middle of the road n drove off…she wud have hit the road had not I quickly caught her arm……which apartment I asked…..u aren’t American are u….no…….Espanola ..Deutsche …im Indian…..u not telling me..she went….i said right now u just tell me ur apt # and my nationality we will discuss another day.

At a South Indian restaurant in DC, with my frnds, I order the food…..when we finished I strolled out for a smoke…while the frnds paid the bill……the Indian guys frm the restaurant, wanted to know frm my frnds where did I come frm…..he knew so much abt Indian food ……..

I think I speak English like any other North Indian, may be a lil better, my accent may be comes frm all tht time spent listening to Cricket commentary frm Australia and England, since I was a kid. But still I think its very normal…never understood wht was so different abt it..ok I can understand its different frm the South Indians, whose English has such a heavy dose of there mother tongue too…….

Latest news..kicked out frm an auditon…..one of the judge the not so beautiful Pari Zorabian says….ur accent is too foreign…..my foot………

27 Comments:

  • lol..
    I AM FIRST;)))
    Will read the post after some time..
    i am never the frst 1 to comment on anybdys post..
    tc

    By Blogger sebia, at 4:28 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger sebia, at 4:28 AM  

  • hmm...language woes....i wonder doesnt ur tongue sometimes miss the twists and turns and the luxury of the native dialect?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:33 AM  

  • its so true...@kay, mine sure does..its so much more easier to speak something we r so comfortable with..:)

    By Blogger ESIH, at 1:06 PM  

  • LOL Jackal funny read!


    **that her first name in my language meant ‘shit’.

    ROFL!

    Keshi.

    By Blogger Keshi, at 8:15 PM  

  • poor Chinese gal :( !!

    By Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~, at 8:33 PM  

  • by the way , didnt get the ref to Ms Zorabian .. how does she figure here ??

    By Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~, at 8:34 PM  

  • This one was real funny to read ....

    Have a great week ahead !!

    By Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~, at 8:36 PM  

  • Liked the
    Lira notes bit ... was so damn funny !

    By Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~, at 8:36 PM  

  • That was funny..your language problems from italy to US:)

    By Blogger Shikha, at 9:22 PM  

  • boring

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:18 PM  

  • Sebia:

    wow finally u grabbed the first spot..congrats....nice bahana for a treat Sebia....will u ?? ..tcc byee

    Kay:

    wc kay..sure u do....though some how due to school i went too...english doesn't seem to be tht other lang....tcc byee


    Sushmita:

    yeah its much easier to communicate in ur own lang as tht comes naturally.....one of my uncles who went to scotland for a holiday on his return to India..says my jaws are paining ..y....coz of all tht effort i had to put in to speak english lol....tcc byee


    Keshi:
    Thnx Keshi.....yeah tht poor Chinese gal..i think some times u are better off keeping ur mouth shut...hugzzzzz tcc byeeee


    Deepa:

    yes i wud never forget this one.....how she came smiling upto me..shud i have told her abt her name ? but u know wht in Korean my last name means 'king of kings' wow haha

    Pari Zorabian was one of the judges at an audition....i mentioned tht since i was thrown out for my accent..

    tcc Deepa have a nice weekened ..but dont shop too much i know X'mas is rnd the corner...tcc byeee


    Shikha:

    yeah it ws indeed fun....one italian gal asked me to tell he a few nice hindi words which she wanted to say to this another indian guy.....ok i was bad..i told her some real filthy words..told her it means tht u looking so smart today blah blah..she went n told tht guy....he ws so mad at me how cud u : )
    Shikha have fun..did u buy my X'mas present yet?? : ) tcc byee

    Anonymous:
    boring..but thnx for ur effort to go thru the post

    By Blogger Jackal, at 12:56 AM  

  • Sheesh,,ok ok..i take my words back..u are not KUNJOOS,,,Infact u are MAHA KANJOOS,,,,,,,,
    ;0)
    OK let me comment on the post..arre u r blessed with a decent sense of humor.thts a news.trust me it wont take much effort to stretch ur facial muscles a lil bit..yehhhhh like that..u have done tht..it increased ur face value;)
    it was definately a better post after a lot of serious hard hitting facts of reality...

    sheesh COLOUR LESSONs,,FR CURRENCY..u went 2 venice..zabardast..i m so v looking ffwd 2 go there 4 next vecations.and being a piscean..i believe u must have enjoyed tht place a lot..wht abt fluctuation in lira value?is it really true tht by the time u finish ur pizza its price is changed;0
    ok u are not a kunjoos 1,,in times of distress u can turn in 2 a thief as well...grrrrrrr
    that chinese grl;s incident actually made me laugh
    and i find tht zorbian grl v beautiful..dont show her ur foot!!!!
    keep it up..once a while..sm light post wont change ur ever intellectual image
    Salam Namaste!!

    By Blogger sebia, at 11:36 AM  

  • Facing language prbs is pretty usual when you travel to foreign places. French people are so proud of their language, they wont speak to you in english even if they knew it. You say good morning, they reply back Bom jour. My fav Italian word btw is Kapish :P
    Nice post.

    By Blogger Dewdrop, at 12:31 PM  

  • Wow! That was such an interesting read ...

    yeah i know fair Indians are many a times misundertood as Italians. In London, the Indian population is mostly on the darker side ... the complexion i meant ... even though i have typical Indian features ... people confirm with me twice if am an Indian.

    Tiz great that u had interpreter friends with you ... i think i'll hafta ask ma Italian friends to accompany us when we go to Italy ... coz when we had gone to Bangkok, t'was like hell!!! I once asked this McD's fellow to gimme a vegetarian burger ... and she said 'Whaaat?' i repeated ... but invain .. and then i said 'Burger ... no chicken...yeah?' ... She was like 'Ohhhh ok!!! one minute' .. and she brought me a burger with Ham ... 'Madaaaam ... ur burger with no chicken!' lol sheesh!

    Thankfully here people are aware of the different Indian dialects...i mean my gori friends are aware of the South Indians and the North Indians but am surprised to hear that at a univ in da US it wud have been a problem for u ... hmmm ...

    Awww accent is foreign ... wut audition was it by the way???

    Was a nice post ... liked reading it !!

    By Blogger Łóòň Ġãĺ, at 1:30 PM  

  • Sebia:

    Salam Namaste
    ..agar golgappe ki treat nahi di tht means u have to fight with me... : ( ..ab zayada pareshan karrogi to hug kar lunga : ) wht to do caught this disease in Italy u c..hugzz n muhaass……n wht did I hear king kong ..120 kmss tell me do u drive on the rd or hawa : ) …chalo ho jaye ek din race…how abt Delhi to Jaipur n back tht rd is nice too..uff u even called me a thief.so bad Sebia…..kucch kahna he tha u cud have at least shown some respect n called me dacoit..but a just a thief grrr…..survived an accident 2 yrs ago….chalo yeh to accha hua….nahi to hum ladte kaisse…..but tht pole must have moved and cum in ur path na ? Yeah lira used to really fluctuate…but I always gained
    Venice is beautiful ...piazza di San Marco..tht sq is really nice..u wud enjoy im sure..but u need to take me along as guide otherwise u wud struggle with the lang n get lost in those narrow lanes….hum to 7-8 baar gaye the…..pass mei tha na……Tccc byee..n don’t pareshan karro me…cozz I don’t mind tht : )



    dewdrop:

    boun giorno signorina……..yeah heard abt the French …may be we shud teach them a lesson when they arrive in India..all shud pretend tht they only know hindi n let them go crazy : ) ciao ci vidiammo (byee see u later)



    cheesy termite:

    ‘Indians are many a times misunderstood as Italians’ happened all the time….even those air hostesses…welcoming u on board…normally they greet in English but for me they always used Italian. ‘even though i have typical Indian features ... people confirm with me twice if am an Indian’ so u are fair..but then termites are fair naaa : )
    tht was funny...veg burger…then wht did u do with burger...
    It wasn’t a problem for me at the Univ actually its just tht ppl who wud get confuse...there were almost 1200 Indians, but almost all frm the south..never came across one frm North..so for the locals those south Indians...were Indians and I did not fit in there...btw..I found the ave white American so dumb…..beyond there country they seem to be so ignorant...
    Cheesy u don’t need to look for ny one I wud accompany u to Italia…mai hoon na..may be will get u free accommodation too….
    Enjoyed reading it……I enjoyed the comments too it was fun…..tcc byeeee

    By Blogger Jackal, at 11:51 PM  

  • nice post jackal
    my english sucks big time now , n the reason is v dont speak english at all over here... its the worst part of european countries.... no 1 wanna speak other then mother tounge here..
    its like totaly wierd n alient languages....
    even i have faced this proble when i came here .... just felt like me was on some alient land or wat !!!

    hehhe funny post jackal
    hugss buddy

    By Blogger strawy, at 12:26 AM  

  • Salam namaste!!
    NOW u r nt just KUNJOOS and THIEF..u are a COPY CAT as well..dang,,,ur list of sins growing every minute..
    sheesh..puhleeeeez these hugs and muahs seriously give me indigestion..and i like 2 keep a distance of 5 feet with all..no tresspassers 2 cross 5 feet lakshman rekha.and keep my sword handy..fr possible threats of hugs..
    .
    i am not in india..and cant cm all the way to india just to have a race..which im surely gonna win.....

    how do u know abt the pole..tht he was so smitten by me..tht just ran towards me to get my autograph..
    tc
    babye

    By Blogger sebia, at 3:46 AM  

  • Oh!! Post ur pic sometime ... lol ... Wanna see u !! I have some Italian friends ... my lecturer was italian ... i was once asked out by an Italian guy ... lol ...

    hahahaa free accomodation...sounds cool eh...

    Termites arent fair ... tiz the cheese in this termite which makes her fair ... lol :P

    i threw the burger ... obviously!

    It was really surprising to know abt the Americans u talkin abt ... hmmm...

    Nice reply to my comment ... enjoyed reading it! :P

    By Blogger Łóòň Ġãĺ, at 8:21 AM  

  • Strawy:

    i can imagine ur plight...n wht i think is worse tht most of the european contries are so smaall...if u are tarvelling across after every few hundred miles u face a different lang..isn't it ? thnx fairy...hugzz tcc byeeee


    Sebia :

    Tum nahi mannogi naa.....n where did this copy cat tag cum frm....yaar this post i wrote just because u wanted to read some thing different..so instead of thanking me..sending a box of chocolates u....
    ...tht indigestion isnt due to hugzz its cozz of all those golgappe u eat.......n i dont recognize ur lakshman rekha..hum to bilkul pass baithenge.....
    race ka nam sunnker India he chhod diyaa....dar gayi kya ? u tell me where i have to cum for tht race.....
    'pole' well i guess u arnt so dumb to go n hit a stationery pole . )
    byeee tccccccc


    Cheesy :
    too many Italians arnd u..how does ur Italian teach....i mean his English...........poor guys got so confuse at times....remmember an amercian prof..talking abt hiring n firing workforce....the first time he mentioned 'fire'...the Italian students looked arnd wondering and i told the guy next to me tht these guys are thinking abt guns.....one finally got up to ask wht do u mean fire...kill......lol
    so did u go out on date with tht Italian guy....i dont know but the Italian gals had very poor opinion abt the Italian guys.....
    'termites arnt fair..itzz the cheese' luv this bit...but it must be difficult to hold u..cozz of all tht slippery cheese lol...
    really enjoyed too..writing n commenting..on this was all because u ppl...its been fun all the way......tccc byeee hugzzzzz

    By Blogger Jackal, at 10:58 AM  

  • Ma Italian teacher doeant seem to have any probs with English ... her proununciation's a bit weird though ... but we've adjusted .

    Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa fire gunz... sheesh ... dont temme is it that bad??????? I guess da friends i have, have been stayin in London for too long ... so they're not that bad!

    No i didnt go out ... coz i didnt know him ... lol i was goin to da market with ma mom ... and right in the middle of da road in front of ma mom ... he asked ma fone number ... and said 'i reallly like you!' ... waited for me for 1 hour ... and wut not ... and finally gave up! Gosh i was surprised ... a stranger 'reallly likes me' ! He might have had problems with his english mebbe ... lol

    lollll slippery cheese ... hahahaaaaaaaaa ....

    "really enjoyed too..writing n commenting..on this was all because u ppl"

    :( and i thot i was just talkin abt you

    U too take care.

    By Blogger Łóòň Ġãĺ, at 1:54 PM  

  • pronunciation *

    (sheesh!)

    By Blogger Łóòň Ġãĺ, at 1:55 PM  

  • Cheesy:

    Im sure the ppl who have stayed for some time in London wud not be tht bad......must tell u this...there was this American guy..with a real heavy accent...once he asked me..do u understand wht I say..I said yes but y u asking tht...he says thes f_ _ _ _ _ _ Italians they keep nodding there head when I say something..while im sure they don’t understand a word lol…..
    Have u realized how much these Italians need to gesture when they speak….they used to say tht u tie their hands n they wont be able to talk….lol
    ‘fire’ wht I think is tht English too is a bit complex lang..esp some one who has just begun..so many words have different meanings in diff context u c...I shud have been there to c ..when tht guy proposed esp with ur mother arnd…..u must have really blushed...tell me the truth…n wht did ur mum have to say abt it...
    Cheese tc n don’t go out to much in the sun..
    wht if the cheesy melts away . ) byeee


    Pinki:

    NO don’t be scared Pinki...still be excited...there is problem but ppl manage....buy a lil handbook if ur traveling to some place where English is not spoken and tht wud serve the purpose..im sure u wud enjoy..n where are u heading to btw...byee tcccc

    By Blogger Jackal, at 10:50 PM  

  • update ???

    By Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~, at 12:18 AM  

  • hahaha...you are one damn hilarious guy man...speaking of italians..i heard on the russell peters show tht the " you want to eat" gesture in india is the same as "what the fuck" in italian..wonder if thats true

    By Blogger Praveen R., at 5:52 AM  

  • Hahahaaaa

    Ma mum isnt aware of the incident ... he was kinna whispering ... plus ma mom was busy shopping n stuff ...

    Won't let da cheese melt.

    Thanks!

    bubye and tc.

    By Blogger Łóòň Ġãĺ, at 10:18 AM  

  • Deepa :

    Sure just some more time....tcc byee


    Praveen :

    welcum.....Peters is absolutely true..never viewed it tht way until u told me......tcc byee


    Cheesy:

    hmm lucky ur mum was busy shopping : )......
    yeah dont let the cheese melt....cheesy is too precious ...tcc byee

    By Blogger Jackal, at 12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home